Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Good friends and race morning- day 3 & 4

Apparently I have more time to write than I thought :)
Though after this post I should probably attempt some productivity for the day...

Day 3 started off with Marlys and Bob taking us to a super delicious breakfast place in LaGrange (and no, not the LaGrange in Georgia ;) ) I had the best ham and cheese omelet, breakfast potatoes, and pancakes ever...seriously. We sat around and watched a little college football before packing up and catching the train into the city at 12. We met up with Lea and Rachel at our hotel and checked into our room before hearing out to eat more and explore. Matt split off from us girls to have some solid private guy time watching the football games at a sports bar. Us gals went to Portillo's and split lunch...we had a delicious salad, some cheese fries, and I tried some of the infamous Italian beef sandwich that Chicago is so well known for. We sat around and chatted for a good bit before we headed over to Ghiradelli's per Marlys's suggestion for more expensive ice cream- all well worth the dollars! We chatted and caught up some more before hitting up Michigan Avenue for some shopping. Marlys headed off for home shortly after, Matt met up with us, and we went to the Cheesecake Factory for more carb loading for myself. Matt and I went to bed at a fairly decent hour so I'd be rested for race day. 


My alarm went off at 6 Sunday so we'd have plenty of time for the walk to the start line and potty breaks. I hated saying goodbye to Lindsey and Matt as I walked into the gate, but was so excited I would see them at multiple places along the course. 




I missed them at mile 8 and hit severe depression...mile 9 was my first 10 minute mile because I stopped to text Matt and see where they were. I finally got to see them at mile 16.5 and I was SO happy to see their faces! They booked it to see me at 23, then ran across the road to see me on the latter side of 23. They were the highlights of my run for sure. 



Speaking of the run, it was definitely challenging and fun. I can remember having multiple negative thoughts while I ran, but afterwards couldn't complain about much- this is why I keep signing up! The crowd support in Chicago is beyond amazing- you never feel alone the entire time which is why I will keep coming back. The training is definitely the hardest part for me and my hips/knees so I'll be focusing on getting faster and just run halves next year. Plus I made a promise to Matt that I wouldn't run a marathon in 2014, but I'll be back in Chicago for #4 in 2015! 




Wrigley Field, drinks at the Hancock, and dinner with my cousin recap to come...as soon as I get some stuff done! And shower for the day :)

No comments:

Post a Comment