Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Race day

Sunday started off kind of rocky. I set my alarm for 6:30 so we could be out the door and on the way to the metro by 6:50 (race started at 7:55). Well, instead of walking to the metro station we had been using, Matt decided we would walk a few more blocks down...unfortunately the metro station his phone was leading us to was a metro bus stop...not the subway. Oops. So we had to hop on the bus to take us to the actual metro. When we got off on our stop we ended up having to walk forever to get to the start line. I was slightly flustered when I had to jump in with the LAST corral; we barely made it in time! Then the GPS on my watch didn't decide to start working until right before mile 3, so I had no idea how I was doing or when I needed to push myself. Matt jumped on the metro and waited at mile 19 for me before jumping back on the metro to meet me at the finish line. This race definitely wasn't as fun as Chicago was, but it was still a fun experience and I can't believe I had a decent time with as little training as I did. I finished in 4:45:15.

After the race we hopped on the metro (we were champs by the time we left town!) and headed to get some lunch and watch the Falcons game at a little brewery. Since we were so close, we went ahead and visited the natural history building of the Smithsonian. Then we walked to the zoo so I could see gorillas, but it was closed for "Boo at the Zoo"- bummer. Back to the hotel we went to rest up, shower, and grab one last dinner in D.C. We went to the same little BBQ joint we visited Friday evening because it was delicious! They have the best BBQ chicken nachos and mashed potatoes, plus a really delicious beer called the Matilda. Our bellies were so full we didn't even get dessert! 

We had a great time exploring and being with each other on our little road trip vacation!
Andddddd we purchased two new Christmas ornaments to add to our collection :)


Mile 19





No comments:

Post a Comment